MEXT Research Scholarships is accepting applications for international students to study graduate courses at Japanese universities for a degree under the Japanese government award Program for 2019. Applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field.
Applicants must be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic missions by the required date. The submitted documents will not be returned.
- Application Form
- Placement Preference Form
- Field of Study and Research Program Plan
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university attended (transcript issued either by alma mater or by applicant’s national government)
- Graduation certificate or degree certificate of the last university attended (or an attested document certifying that the applicant will graduate from the school, where applicable)
- Recommendation from the president/dean or the adviser of the last university attended
- Medical certificate
- Abstracts of theses
- Recommendation from the present employer (if currently employed)
- Photograph(s) showing applicant’s own works of art or a recorded CD of musical performance (only for those majoring in fine arts or music)
Note 1: These documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translations in either of these languages should be attached.
Note 2: Photographs (4.5×3.5 cm, taken within the past six months, upper body, full-faced, uncapped. Write your name and nationality on the reverse and paste them onto the Application Form and Placement Preference Form) attached to the original application must be originals; copies are not acceptable. It is acceptable to paste the data of photo on each application form and print it. (To print your photos and paste it on the application form is not allowed.)
Note 3: The Field of Study and Research Program Plan should describe concretely and in detail the applicant’s own research program because it will serve as important material for placement of the applicant at a university.
Note 4: The academic transcripts of the last university attended should show the grade scale applied and the grades earned by the applicant in all the subjects studied for each year of study at a university department/faculty and graduate school. (A degree certificate or a graduation certificate simply showing the ranking of the applicant at graduation will not substitute for academic transcripts.)
Note 5: The graduation certificate and the degree certificate obtained from the last university attended may be photocopies provided that the copies are attested by an authorized person of the university. Do not submit original as no submitted certificates will be returned.
Note 6: For abstracts of the theses, abstracts of the graduation thesis and any presented papers will suffice. Please note that these abstracts will be used as basic data for evaluation of the applicant’s academic ability.
Note 7: Number the documents in the right upper corner.